Friday, October 26, 2007

Utter Failure....

Tomorrow Marissa's best friend Ariel is having a Halloween party. She also invited Gianna & me, although I have NO idea if I'm gonna wear a costume...come to think of it I really SHOULD but I digress... Her mom Samantha & I met last year through the girls & have really hit it off. I told her I was going to bring brownies & then I got the idea to make these cute looking treats I found on Becky Higgins' blog http://www.beckyhiggins.com/blog/2007/10/pretzel-hugs.html
They sound easy enough right?? I wanted to make them "Halloween-ish" so I was going to use candy corn & those pumpkin candy corn like thingys instead of the M & M's.

1 bag pretzels
1 pkg. M&Ms
1 pkg. Hershey "Hugs"

Place pretzels on baking stone or sheet. Place a Hug on each pretzel and bake at 200 degrees for about 8 minutes (just watch for the Hugs to melt). Remove from oven and promptly place a couple of M&Ms on each pretzel, pressing into the melted chocolate. Allow to cool before serving, you can put them in the refrigerator to speed up the process.

So I gave it a shot. It sounded easy enough that the girls could help. Gianna was surfing the Nick Jr. website so it was just me & Marissa. She was a good sport peeling all the kisses while I laid out the pretzels on the cookie sheets. I put the first tray in the oven & instead of 8 mins I put them in for 6 just to keep an eye on them. After 6 mins. I tried putting a candy corn but the chocolate wasn't melted. AT. ALL. So I put them in for 30 second intervals BUT it wasn't melting. AT. ALL. At this time Joe gets home & I quickly cook dinner (good thing we were having the chicken strips with the Hot sauce I mentioned in my last post). I kept thinking how I could fix this but the only thing I could think of was to take the kisses & put them in a zippy bag & melting them in the microwave then squeeze them pastry bag like style onto the pretzels. Well after dinner I tried that. But it was TOO LATE. The chocolate was burnt. Not crispy burnt. Just chocolate burnt when it's all grainy & lumpy. Disgusted I threw it out. What a WASTE of good chocolate!!

Since I'm not one to give up without a fight...I took some of the big Hershey bars that I have for when I make chocolate covered strawberries & melted that in the microwave in a zippy bag & this time it worked!! TRIUMPH!! Joe helped me by putting the candy corn on them because by this time it was past 10pm & the girls were in bed. So much for a happy little mother daughter moment in the kitchen! I'll take pics & post them tomorrow along with the party pics. I can't believe that I couldn't do this! It's so easy sounding! I refuse to believe that I did anything wrong & have to blame the chocolate! I must've gotten a bad bag. Yeah that's it....it's Hershey's fault!!

No comments: