Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gianna's 1st Holy Communion


Today we celebrated Gianna's 1st Holy Communion.  I feel like we had Marissa's was not that long ago but it's been three years.  Hard for me to believe. 

We went dress shopping in March.  We picked out a few dresses to try on & almost immediately knew this was "the one".  It didn't stop us from trying on other dresses just to "make sure" though.  We even had Marissa picking out dresses for her sister.  The girl's got good taste!  I  get asked a lot if Gianna was going to wear Marissa's dress. No. They are two different people. Why should they? That's how I'd like to answer, but I don't. The only thing we passed from Marissa to Gianna was the shoes. Each girl should have their own special day.  Which is something I need to remember when it comes to their weddings & they tell me they don't want to wear my dress....but that's besides the point. ;)

The day started early with me doing Gianna's hair. We hadn't practiced really beforehand, but had an idea of what we were going to do. Thankfully the weather was beautiful (if a bit chilly for her), and didn't ruin her hair. Yes, I think about things like that. ;)

We did a marathon photo session around the house before leaving for the church. 

 I have to say how much I love this family pic.  I plan on printing it large (11x14) for the photo wall I've talked about hanging in the family room.
 My favorite weeping cherry tree, in the front of the house, bloomed early thanks to the warm weather we had in February, so I chose to take pics in the backyard.  I think it easier to take pics without the sun directly in her eyes.

This is another favorite shot.  I will definitely hang this up.


We went over to the church early to meet with the photographer for some formal pics.  He took her pics super quick so to pass the time, we then went outside for more pics.  She wasn't thrilled to have to take all these pics but she did what she had to.

Of course we took some pics inside the church too. 

We weren't allowed to take pics during the ceremony except for the very end when they handed the kids their certificates. 

Afterwards, we took more pics of course.  I told Gianna to stand in front of the altar & she posed herself like this.  Yes, it's another favorite.

We took pics of the cousins together.
 Then we went off to the restaurant.  We had a small gathering of family & friends.  I really like it better than having a huge party where you can't enjoy it.  This was perfect.  At one point, my nephew Tyler, who is about 9 months older than Gianna, took a seat by himself away from the kids table...basically he was the only boy & needed some "man" time.  However, Gianna went over to sit with him to keep him company.  They have always been close (when they're not fighting).  I took this shot because they look like a little bridal couple.  So cute, in a way.  Then I promptly took the wine off the table before it spilled. Gotta keep the dress clean....and the kids sober. ;)

Of course there was cake.  Decorated in Gianna's favorite color of the moment. 


Then of course there was fun by the adults too.  This is my friend Carolee, me & my sister Marie.  We've been friends since we all worked together years ago.  These are "my girls".

Yes, of course, we had sister time too.  We were goofing around at this point, but this is the only pic I'll post. ;)

This pic is of my cousin's daughter, Hannah, my niece Nikki & Gianna.  After I took this, I thought that I could easily be looking into the future, seeing Gianna at her wedding surrounded by her family.  That's how my mind works.  Can't help it.  Yes I was imagining Gianna in a wedding dress all day.  How could I not?


Here we have the 3 ten-year olds.  Hannah, Nikki & Marissa.  All ten, with braces.  They look grown-up too.  **sigh** Who let them out of the bubble & let them grow up??


They day wouldn't be complete with all the kids together.  They had a lot of fun hanging out together.
It was a beautiful day, full of love & happiness....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like an amazing day! She looked so pretty! I can totally see how you were picturing her in her wedding dress, it would be hard not to.