Monday, June 20, 2011

Little Nest part 2

Remember THIS post from last year?

Well nothing ever hatched. I was bummed, but it was partly my fault. You see, I told my father-in-law about the nest & in his nosy-ness, he TOUCHED the eggs & nest. I told him he wasn't supposed to touch it but he was all: "it's fine".

Hmmmph.

My F-I-L is a "master breeder" of pigeons.
Don't laugh.
I'm dead serious.

However he is NOT apparently a "master breeder" of sparrows, or whatever the bird was that built the nest.

So when I spotted another nest this year I was so excited!
And I made the girls pinkie swear, that this was a top secret & to NOT tell Grandpa or they wouldn't see the birds hatch. They agreed.

What's more exciting that the Mama Bird is always sitting on the eggs. See her there in the top diamond on the door? I was in my kitchen taking this so I wouldn't disturb her & zoomed in as close as I could. (it was nightime when I took this pic) But she flew off anyway. So I took the opportunity to take pics of her eggs from inside the door. There are 4 eggs & 1 of them is heavily spotted.

I find myself avoiding the hallway by that front door so I won't scare the mama bird off. Yes, I tiptoe through my house to not disturb a bird. I know how wacky that sounds. ;) I just really want her to stay with her nest & not abandon them again.


This is another shot of the eggs the next day.


Any guesses on what kind of bird they are?


Stay tuned.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will be so cool to see them hatch and watch the mother take care of them! Keep us posted!