Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Almost 10 yr old, The Owl & a Party

See this Owl?



It's Hedwig from the Harry Potter books. Marissa's pretty obsessed with both the books & the owl.

When I was thinking about her birthday cake, I mentioned making an owl cake & right away she specified that it had to be a white owl like Hedwig.

She's demanding a bit.
She's also lucky I love her.
;)

I sketched something out that I thought was do-able & showed it to her. She had ideas that seemed very elaborate & I figured it would be a good idea to wait until she went to bed to start the cake.

Like I said, she's demanding.
And opinionated.
Did I mention I love her?

The cake came together much easier than I anticipated it would, considering I freehanded the whole thing.

I'm pretty happy about.
She is too.
I love that girl.
Everyone was excited about their blue tongues after eating the cake.



I made a card for her in record time. Seriously about 10 mins--the fastest card I've ever made. And some pieces were scraps just lying on my desk. I think what made the card come together so fast was the fact that I made it to match the cake. Didn't plan on it, it just happened. I just hope she doesn't mind that the owl is not white like Hedwig.

Did I mention she's a nit picker about details?

We had a simple party with family & friends over to celebrate. She got a lot of nice gifts. Since she is such a big reader (& we're running out of room around here) we got her a Kindle. This will be perfect for vacation since she tends to load up on the books she takes with her.

She was thrilled.
We were happy.
And "Owl" always love her!

6 comments:

byondbzr said...

The cake turned out AWESOME!

Mz-Cellaneous said...

Happy birthday! I LOVE owls.. she's a smart girl ;)

Staci said...

You did a fantastic job on the cake and the card! Happy birthday to your DD!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday, Marissa! You are a very lovely young lady! And your mom did a wonderful job on your birthday cake and card! I can tell she loves you very much!:-)

Have fun with your Kindle!

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

Happy Birthday to Marissa.
I just happened across your page and I'm in love with it! I love your heading and the slide, and I love your creativity! It makes me want to create something!
Maybe tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

That cake is great! I love it! She looks like a happy girl!